Woman dies in Australia Day lamington-eating contest

lamington-eating contest
lamington-eating contest

A woman died in Australia when she had participated in a contest which was to eat as many lamingtons as possible. A lamington is an Australian cake, made from sponge cake in square shape and then are coated in an outer layer of chocolate sauce and drizzled with desiccated coconut.

The woman who died was 60 years old, and it was stated that she had a seizure during the occasion at a hotel in Hervey Bay, Queensland. Contestants had earlier been recorded speed-eating the cake. While this happened, she was given Cardiopulmonary resuscitation at the place where it happened however, she was taken to the hospital but she died later.

Eyewitnesses said that the woman had crowded one of the cakes into her mouth when she appeared to get into difficulties while eating for the competition. Video Footages have appeared showing that other customers of the pub were cheering for the eaters, who had glasses of water next to them.

The Beach House Hotel in Hervey Bay sent a message on Facebook expressing condolences to the family and friends of the woman who died, but she has not been named. Eating competitions are very popular during Australia Day which is a national holiday signifying the arrival of the first Europeans to Australia.